Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Limits of Human Wisdom

I went for today's service. Rev Kim from Korea came and shared her life testimony.

Many thoughts came into my mind, many emotions are stirred. Maybe God did something to me at the service. Maybe I caught something in the spirit.

Before I became a Christian, I was a fool. After I received my salvation, I began to ask God for wisdom. For 3 years I prayed everyday, "God give me wisdom, let me be wise, give me knowledge of good and evil. Let me be like King Solomon, the wisest man of all history." For 3 years I prayed the prayer of Solomon for wisdom to come, only to find out that wisdom comes with a price.

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief." ~ Ecclesiastes 1 : 18 (NIV)

For the last 2 years, I started to pray for understanding. I pray to understand the things that I do not comprehend. I thought knowledge without understanding brings sorrows. I thought maybe understanding can ease the grief.

But No.. They did not go away.

"What a heavy burden God has laid on men! " ~ Ecclesiastes 1 : 13 (NIV)
~> Solomon realized that, despite all of his wisdom, and despite the power he had as king, he could not "straighten" what was "twisted", he could not supply what was "lacking". The burden on a man alone, trying to lead a nation by his own power, trying to "straighten" what is "twisted" and supply what is "lacking", was indeed "a heavy burden". What Solomon did not immediately realize was that what is "twisted" in the world, and what is "lacking" in the world are due to the fall of man and the continuing sin of men. No man can remedy this. "The imperfection in the arrangements of the world result from the fall. All attempts to rectify this imperfection without recognition of the fall of man are vain. The dislocated state of all creaturely things, subject as they are to vanity, is designed to bring us, in despair of bettering them, to take refuge in God." Yes, "what a heavy burden God has laid on men!"

Something happened during the service, it opened my eyes.

I am very impressed by the simple faith that Rev. Kim has in God. The contentment that she has even during times of tribulation, the simple child-like faith she has in God. The contentment that everything else doesn't matter. She was just happy that God loves her.

It really blew me away!

Her grateful heart puts me to shame. That is what I call, thanksgiving.

In 2004, God spoke to me "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you." ~ Philippians 4 : 6-9 (NKJV)

I guess I fully understand what it meant after hearing Rev. Kim's story. Even during storms of life, she kept smiling and saying "It doesn't matter, God loves me!" I mean, it is so simple-minded and really irritating. But look at her life, it fully amazing...

Rev. Kim also said that once God told her off, said that she is doing everything by herself.

That hit me! Yes, I am guilty.

Indeed, I of little faith, I have been running everything on my own, my way. It is true :

"A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon. Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the Lord guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain." ~ Psalm 127 : 1 (NKJV)

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." ~ Proverbs 3 : 5-6 (NKJV)

This is the limits of Human Wisdom.

"Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones." Proverbs 3 : 7-8 (NKJV)

No comments: